A first-rate archive resource at the disposal of historical researchers
BNP Paribas is a European banking group with a long, rich and varied history. Accordingly, the Group pays great attention to the preservation of its memories by carefully maintaining archives of paper, photographic and audio-visual material. This historical legacy is both a valuable resource for the Group and a source of collective memory.
The BNP Paribas Group Heritage & Historical Archives department is responsible for preserving, developing, publicising and ensuring that good use is made of this assembled legacy.
These collections contain valuable source-materials on economic history and international relations, and also for the study of other fields such as the history of architecture and social history.
In France, these archives have come down to us from the various financial institutions that came together to make up the BNP Paribas Group:
◦ Banque nationale de Paris (BNP) and its forerunner banks, namely the Comptoir national d’escompte de Paris and the Banque nationale pour le commerce et l’industrie
◦ Banque de Paris et des Pays-Bas (Paribas)
◦ Compagnie bancaire – a significant part of which was Cetelem
If you wish to consult the archives or ask questions about Group history, please send an email to the Group Heritage & Historical Archives department at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: the department does not store documents relating directly to customers’ bank accounts and is not able to answer any questions in this regard.
In addition, two major European subsidiaries of BNP Paribas maintain their own Archives and History departments, which continue to conserve archives of great importance for tracing the history of their respective countries:
◦ Belgium: the BNP Paribas Fortis Historical Centre preserves materials relating to forerunner banks, namely Société Générale de Belgique, Générale de Banque, ASLK/CGER and Crédit à l’Industrie
◦ Italy: l’Archivio Storico BNL conserves the archives of the Banca Nazionale del Lavoro (BNL)
In addition, the BNP Paribas Historical Association is made up of members who take a close interest in Group history. The Association has considerable experience with oral records and is able to provide historical researchers with access to document files, a historical library and various private archive collections.